Reviews Print Correction Save

Disabled Facilities Grant

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

  • widen doors and install ramps
  • improve access to rooms and facilities - eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

020 7974 4444
Who is it for:
You or someone living in your property must be disabled. Either you or the person you’re applying for must: own the property or be a tenant and intend to live in the property during the grant period
How to apply:
via local council who may send an Occupational Therapist to assess your needs

Related Information

Related Factsheets

Subject Definitions

Disability, according to the World Health Organization, is " umbrella term, covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. An impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations.