Reviews Print Correction Save

Police - Non Emergency

101 is the number you call if you need to contact your local police in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. You can call 101 to report a crime that has already happened, seek crime prevention advice or make us aware of any policing issues in your local area.

Using 101 for situations that do not require an immediate police response helps keep 999 available for when there is an emergency.

  • Your car has being stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

or to:

  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

Always call 999 when a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

We can speak to you in your own language if you cannot, or have difficulty, speaking English.
Disabled access:
If you are deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, a text phone is available on 18001 101
Calls to 101 from landlines and mobiles cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call or how long your call lasts.

Related Information

Related Factsheets

Subject Definitions

The police are persons empowered to enforce the law, protect property and reduce civil disorder Their powers include the legitimized use of force.