Reviews Print Correction Save

Winter Fuel Payment

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 May 1953. You have lived in the UK for at least one day during the week of 17 - 23 September 2018 This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

If you do not live in the UK during the qualifying week, you might still get the payment if you live Switzerland or an Economic European Area (EEA) and have a genuine link with the UK Social Security system, such as having lived or worked in the UK for most of your life.

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by mid-January.

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you have not received the Winter Fuel Payment into your account by mid-January, telephone the office that pays your benefit.  You will find their contact details on any letters they have sent to you.

Area serviced:
0800 731 0160 (to claim for the first time) Winter Fuel & Claim line
Opening times:
Mon-Fri 8am-6pm
How to apply:
go to 'How to claim' page on website